It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. - Seneca

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Book Review- "My Sister's Keeper"





Can a Parent love too much? Or is too much never enough?

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

MY SISTER’S KEEPER is a story that struck a cord with me. As the sister of someone who suffered from a life threatening illness I saw first hand the struggles that parents go through to protect their child. Is this a controversial story? Some could see it as such. But for me it was a powerful, though heartbreaking story of real life. These things happen, and as a parent I could not fault Anna’s parents for making the decisions that they made. Did it mean they loved her any less? Absolutely not. If I were in the same situation would I have a baby just to save another child? I don’t know. But what I do know is that I would do everything in my power to save my child. Who could fault anyone for that?

Jodi Picoult writes a heartbreaking, emotional page turning story that I would recommend to anyone. Will it cause people to talk? Sure. Will some people disagree with the decisions made within the story? Absolutely. But I’ll be surprised if you guess the ending!

I give this book 5 *****stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was swept up by this book and the issues it raises. I read it before donating my own kidney to a beloved family member (no -- I was not a younger sibling conceived to be an organ supply, but I cannot stop thinking about the story Picoult tells.)

Chicks of Characterization said...

Me too, Linda. These things really happen to families and its easy to judge until one is in that situation. Wow, what a wonderful gift you gave! You should be proud!! Its not everyday that someone is willing to make such a huge sacrifice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...