It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. - Seneca

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our SPOTLIGHT is on KRIS TUALLA! *CONTEST*



Norway is the new *say it with me!* Scotland!


Norway is the new Scotland. Spread the word.

When I first decided to write an historical romance novel, I didn't know anything about the romance market. But I did know there are a mega-zillion "kilted warrior" stories already published. That sub-genre has been going strong for decades. When I went to Amazon and searched book titles for "highlander" there were 2,976 results…

I didn't want to write more of those.

So. What DID I want to write? Well, they say write what you know. I was already going to need to research my time period… (I may be old, but "Historical" still precedes my lifetime.) (Okay, barely. But still.) I chose the Missouri Territory because I spent my childhood in Kansas City. The terrain and the weather are familiar to me.

One thing I knew - the hero would not be Scots. What else is sexy? Vikings! So my hero became Norwegian: big, blond, buff, blue-eyed and beautiful. Strong. Stoic. Spectacular.

For years a woman had been nudging around in my head. She had just awakened in an unfamiliar room with no idea how she got there. She was beaten head to toe and didn't know who or what did that to her. And when pressed by the master of the estate, she realizes that she doesn't even know her name!

Go! Who is she? Who is he? And what the heck happened?

So, imagine my surprise when this creative streak turned out to be a hindrance! Publishers said, “We don’t do American historicals… no one can sell Scandinavia… write Scotland, BUT Scotland is a very crowded market… publishers LIKE their boxes…” And (my fave as a Arizona gal) "We don't do westerns." Are you kidding me?

Now what?

I was driving past IKEA when I heard a hyped-up commercial on the radio: H&M was coming soon! "Hmm," I thought. "These are both Scandinavian stores… I guess that's the next big thing."

And then it hit me. My hook. My brand. My big, blond, buff, beautiful heroes with oceanic eyes! Norwegian men are the next big thing.

And I'll tell everyone that Norway is the NEW Scotland! I even made a video about it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ktualla#p/u/3/uN64hFA0lPQ

Ta-daaaaaaa!

My Nicolas and Sydney turned out to be such strong characters, that her "nudging" became a trilogy:

A Woman of Choice (September 2010 /
Goodnight Publishing)
A Prince of Norway (November 2010 /
Goodnight Publishing)
A Matter of Principle (January 2011) /
Goodnight Publishing)

So. Is it time you found a new sort of hero? Please allow me to help.

*For every 10 people who comment EACH DAY, I will give away one free e-copy of A Woman of Choice - the beginning of the trilogy. And, yes. Commenter #11 warrants 2 copies! Comment #21? I'll give away three. *

********

A Woman of Choice - Missouri Territory, 1819
A woman is viciously betrayed and abandoned by her unfaithful husband. She is rescued by a widower uninterested in love. In desperation, she becomes engaged to his best friend. One woman, three very different men. Life is about choices.

A Prince of Norway - Christiania, Norway, 1820
American-born Nicolas Hansen has been asked to candidate for his great-grandfather's throne. His new wife Sydney isn't about to let him go to Norway and face that possibility alone. The moment they arrive at Akershus Castle, the political intrigue and maneuvering begin. Can Sydney trust anyone? Will Nicolas resist the seduction of power? Or will he claim the throne for himself? Most importantly: will their young marriage survive the malicious mischief of the ambitious royal family?

A Matter of Principle - St. Louis, State of Missouri, 1821
Nicolas Hansen has returned from Norway determined to change the world. But when he runs for State Legislator in the brand-new state of Missouri, the enemies he made over the past two years aren't about to step quietly aside. Sydney has made enemies of her own, both by marrying Nicolas and by practicing midwifery. When a newspaper reporter makes it his goal to destroy them, Nicolas must rethink his path once again. But this time, it's a matter of principle.


Tomorrow: My Beloved Nicolas and Sydney.

********

To Purchase Kris Tualla's books click on the link below-

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22944




CONTACT Kris Tualla:
http://www.kristualla.com/
http://kristualla.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/KrisTualla


*Contest winners will be posted DAILY in the WINNERS BOX*

15 comments:

Stacey Smith said...

I Like the Norwegians my Great Great Great Great Grandpa Came From there on my moms side.Can't Wait to Read your Books
sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com

A.W. McQueen said...

Hey Kris! :-) As Sandra Hill would say in her books "WWWHHHAAAAA?" I have to say I am loving anything Viking. Look at the very successful Capital One Viking commercials. Who wouldn't want to read about the Vikings they are just as hot as the Scots. I am so happy that I can get your books on Kindle now so thanks for the tip.

Chicks of Characterization said...

We are so excited to have Kris Tualla here with us all week so we can find out exactly why she thinks Norway is the new Scotland!!!

Thanks so much for being with us, Kris!!

~Andrea

RFTC Blog said...

Ooh, these books look good and I would love to read them.

iqb99@yahoo.com

Miriam Newman said...

Love the blond hero type, Kris! Good luck with your beautiful books.

Brandy B aka Brandlwyne said...

Hi Kris!!! I love Scottish stories with kiltz and all BUT Vikings/Norwegians are my next fav's. I love that you started in the "Missouri Territory", I am an Iowa girl just about 2 1/2 hrs north of KC which makes this even more interesting to me. I think they sound like great reads so I am going to put them on my book list :)

-Brandy
brandyzbooks@yahoo.com
www.brandyzbooks.blogspot.com

hotcha12 said...

CONGRATS BRANDY! SOME AWESOME BOOKS HERE!

Anonymous said...

I'll give this a shot. After all, if Norway is the new Scotland this is bound to be interesting. :)

nytshade13@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Wonderful! Norwegian & Scots here so it sounds great to me!! Adding to my need to read list!!
total3itch@yahoo.com

Skhye said...

I love kilts and Vikings equally!!! Besides Scottish history is loaded with Viking input! Love your covers too.

VenusBookluvr said...

Wow what a great bunch of ideas. I love men in kilts but men with Long ships are way cool too ;-)

Di said...

as you were told, Scotland is a very crowded market, so it seems to me you made an axcellent decision to be different. Congrats to your publisher for believing in Norway.

Dana McNeely said...

I agree, Vikings rule! Scotland is the OLD NORWAY!!

Kris Tualla said...

Thanks, everyone! 2 of you will receive a copy of "A Woman of Choice" and I think you are really going to enjoy it. Let me know!

Unknown said...

Kris I have it and I am loving it Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...